Home

Julstro International

A Pain-Free Living Community

Have you benefited from Julstro Muscular Therapy?

Submit a Testimonial!

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:55 am 

Hi Julie and others-

I am wondering if you could help me out. I have been getting left QL pain on the bike (only after over an hour). QL does not hurt at all when not on the bike. I have weak glute medius and a very tender spot on top of left glute medius and TFL area. I'm wondering if glute medius is allowing my pelvis to rock a bit on the bike and then over working the left QL?

Any ideas here? I've been stretching and rolling (with tennis ball) on the glute med spot. When I get the pain on the bike, if I get off and do a twisting stretch where legs go opposite of upper body I feel a stretch in the glute med and lower back and get some relief for a while.

Thanks for any help you can give.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:37 am 

Hi Spindogg,

I don't think it's only the QL that's the problem. When you're cycling your iliopsoas is totally contracted and you quads are being contracted rapidly, repetitively, and with force. This really sets you up, big time, for a pelvis rotation forward and down. The rotation causes the posterior pelvis to rotate UP, making the QL need to shorten or it's too long to do the job.

You have my book, right? It will serve you well to do the entire pelvis protocol to release all of the muscles that are rotating your pelvis. Since your Ironman is this weekend, I'd suggest you do these treatments every day, even twice a day. After you do the treatments, and the stretches that are shown, continue the stretches doing them slowly, and really trying to gradually (don't bounce and don't do any fast movements, you could tear the muscle fibers) lengthen them. Like pulling on taffy, you need to inch the muscle along.

Here is the best order of treatment:

1. quadriceps (just the treatment, not the stretch yet)
2. tensor fascia lata and gluteus minimus (hip)
3. piriformis (butt - actually, all the muscles that originate on your sacrum, but as you treat this one you'll be getting the others) both the treatment and the stretch.
4. erector spinae (long muscle of your back, be sure you don't press on your spine), just the treatment for now.
5. quadratus lumborum (low back - you'll treat this at the end of the erector spinae treatment)
6. go along the top of your posterior pelvis to treat the insertion of the quadratus lumborum and the gluteus maximus muscles
7. iliopsoas stretch (be sure your knee is pointing toward the ground and that the bent knee is further back than the standing leg)
8. treatment and stretch for the erector spinae, which will also treat the quadratus lumborum.
9. quadratus lumborum stretch
10. quadriceps again, this time do the treatment and the stretch
11. hamstring treatment and stretch
12. iliopsoas stretch again

BTW, you don't need to get an expensive ball, such as the one that is shown in my book, The Pain-Free Triathlete . I became disenchanted with that ball because it loses shape after a while. I did a massive research to find the best ball that would do the treatments properly, but not be so expensive, and that also wouldn't lose shape after using it for awhile. I found it, and it's only $5.00, you can find it on my shopping cart, it's just call the Pink Ball. It's solid rubber so it will never lose its shape, and the density and size are just perfect.

Good luck at the Ironman. Please let me know how you did.

Wishing you well,
Julie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:53 am 

Hi Julie-

Thank you so much. I am going to get that book as well. When you say "treatments" do you mean rolling through the muscles with a tool (like the ball you mentioned)? I have a foam roller, theracane, rolling pin, floor hockey ball, dog toy, happy massager and I think the list actually goes on. I tend to spend a lot of time on this stuff especially whne my training hours are almost as much as my work hours.

I'll start rolling my quads.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:51 pm 

Hi Spindogg,

The Julstro Pink Ball is different than any ball I've ever found. It's just the right size, solid inside, thin layer of soft rubber so you don't bruise your skin. I laughed when you were mentioning your list of tools. When I became annoyed at the expensive ball that loses shape, I started to search for a quality ball that I could recommend. At one point we probably had 75 assorted balls at the office, it became a big laugh when another ball would come in to be examined. It's funny because it looks like a kid's ball, pink and all. But it works just great.

Good luck with your Ironman. Please let me know how you did, I'll be cheering for you.

Wishing you well,
Julie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:45 am 

Hi Julie-

I had a great swim and bike leg and was in the top 10 in my age group off the bike. My back was actually OK during the bike which is what I was worried about the most. On the run I've had some other nagging issues that really surfaced (arch/heel pain and also groin pain). I was in intense pain from the first step of the run which forced me to walk most of the second half of the marathon but I finished which I'm happy about. I didn't meet any of my goals other than having the humility to finish much slower than usual (this was my 5th ironman). It rained nonstop for the entire 11 hours that I was racing and I was cold for a lot of the race so I'm wondering if that made these injuries surface moreso.

So it appears I have piriformis syndrome pretty bad. This is really where it hurts on the bike and stems into QL a bit as well. The crazy part is that the nerve pain runs down my leg if I stretch my hamstring. It also gives me off and on burning pain in arch and heel area. My calves are very flexible and plantar fascitis has been ruled out. Any other suggestions?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:56 am 

Hi Spindogg,

CONGRATULATIONS! You may not be pleased with your time, but you did an Ironman!! And came in the top 10 of your age group. That's fantastic! Plus, I was really happy to hear your back held up well, that's a big factor. I agree that the weather was against you, and that it probably had something to do with your time, but we need to concentrate on your legs now.

You didn't tell me which of my books you have. There are more treatments for the leg, and especially for the foot, in Treat Yourself to Pain-Free Living. The ebook is good because you can get it immediately and start working on the muscles.

Your groin pain, piriformis, and calf problems can be all coming from the iliopsoas/quadriceps/quadratus lumborum contractions. Did you do the series of treatments I mentioned in the previous message? There are a few things we can add in, but I need to know that you're doing the other treatments correctly.

Do you have Sombra at home? It's an analgesic gel and it's fantastic for releasing the tension in your muscles. If you don't find it at your local health food store, it's on my shopping cart. Also, I suggest you get two things from either the health food store or from www.boiron.com. Arnica gel is fantastic for healing bruised muscles, and they have a product that I've shared with Ironman triathletes in my area and they LOVE it. It's called Sportenine and you start taking it while you're in training. It's for cramps, aches, exhaustion, pain, muscular fatigue. You can read about it on their website.

Let me know about the books and we'll start working on your legs so next time you won't have those problems.

Wishing you well,
Julie