Home

Julstro International

A Pain-Free Living Community

Have you benefited from Julstro Muscular Therapy?

Submit a Testimonial!

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: serratus anterior spasm
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:03 am 

Hi Julie,

Have not posted in some time. Because I find your treatments so effective, I have no need.
First, I am an old hand at finding and successfully treating TPs in quads, hips, low back, shoulder, forearm, you name it.

Till now - I have been doing heavy chest presses w/ no prob. V. recently, I increased the ROM to do a slightly deeper press and I think it has sent my SA into a major spasm. I am a personal trainer and I am almost 100% sure it is the SA.

I have tried to treat it and I have found a couple of exquisitely painful areas, but unlike past experience, it is not helping. In fact, working the painful origin point on the anterior-lateral rib area under my armpits seems to make it spasm! I have been working the entire area looking for other points and have found others, but same result.

Can there be a pull with no real TP, just pain and tightness? What would you advise?

Also, when I work a TP with my fingers, it seems to release while I am pressing. But, when I take my hand away, I feel it
spasm again...

Thanks - Christine

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:20 pm 

So much for 100% sure.

After more searching, I think the culprit is the lat. When I put the ball under the posterior armpit area, there is a
very painful trigger point. Working this provides alot of relief the the rib area w/o causing spasm. So, I think I am on the right track.
Don't know if this is right, but I think that when you find the correct TP, you get immediate relief.
C

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:32 pm 

Hi Christine,

I agree with you totally. When I read your first message I was thinking that it's probably the lats, and then I read your second message. Would you like to learn how to be a certified instructor of Julstro Muscular Therapy? I've decided that 2009 is a teaching year for me, there are too many people who have pain and can't find therapists to help. Plus, I think it's excellent to have fitness trainers who understand what to do because you can really help your clients. I'm currently working with a fitness trainer here in The Woodlands, Texas, and I'd like to spread that information nationwide.

If it's interesting to you, let me know.

Wishing you well,
Julie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:44 pm 

Hi Julie, I still think it is the lat. The lat trigger point is very painful, but getting less so.
Still have alot of discomfort in lower lateral back area though, it wakes me up at night everytime
I turn over. The whole area was spasming and contracting v. actively on Sunday (this has stopped), am I just getting
some residual soreness? The lat is painful to the touch, but really doesn't hurt that much if I just use it, even with
something like lat pulls. Do you think I am making progress or should I being doing something else?
I am spoiled by the julstro techniques, usually I get fairly quick resolution...

I might be interested in becoming certified in these techniques, feel free to email me with the details.

Christine

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:20 pm 

Yeow! I think I messed up! I did some lifting at the gym today, including lat pulls. Everything felt fine, although tight.

But, now the entire lat is spasming like crazy again.

Should I keep working the trigger points? There is only a little relief with that...
Any tips on where I should be looking? I have been using my small rubber ball under the armpit, nipple-level :?
Along the inferior edge of the scapula, and, well, basically the entire lat, shoulder area of my left side.
I keep looking for the spot that will unlock this spasm.

thanks - Christine

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:13 pm 

Hi Christine,

It's possible that your iliopsoas is rotating your pelvis and causing the other muscles (including your lats) to go into a spasm because they are being torqued. I suggest you add in the protocol for the iliopsoas, quadriceps and other muscles that rotate your pelvis.

Do you have The Pain-Free Triathlete or Treat Yourself to Pain-Free Living? Since Treat Yourself to Pain-Free Living is my newest book (Jan 2008) I'll post the pages with the protocol, and if you have The Pain-Free Triathlete you can still find the treatments, there are just fewer variations of each treatment.

Here's the protocol:T is Treatment. S is Stretch.

1. quadriceps (just the treatment, not the stretch yet) (T-138) (S-139)
2. tensor fascia lata and gluteus minimus (hip) (T-133/135) (S-134)
3. piriformis (butt - actually, all the muscles that originate on your sacrum, but as you treat this one you'll be getting the others) both the treatment and the stretch. (T-129) (S-131)
4. gluteus maximus – continue along the same line as the piriformis treatment above. The gluteus maximus is just posterior to the piriformis.
5. erector spinae (long muscle of your back, be sure you don't press on your spine), just the treatment for now. (T-108) (S-104)
6. quadratus lumborum (low back - you'll treat this at the end of the erector spinae treatment) (T-121) (S-122)
7. go along the top of your posterior pelvis to treat the insertion of the quadratus lumborum and the gluteus maximus muscles (Chart10)
8. iliopsoas stretch (be sure your knee is pointing toward the ground and that the bent knee is further back than the standing leg) (S-125)
9. treatment and stretch for the erector spinae, which will also treat the quadratus lumborum (T-108) (S-104)
10. quadratus lumborum stretch (T-121) (S-122)
11. quadriceps again, this time do the treatment and the stretch (T-138) (S-139)
12. hamstring treatment and stretch (T-138) (S-139)
13. iliopsoas stretch again (S-125)

Let me know how you're doing after you do this protocol.

I can't email you because we don't get that information, I'll need you to contact me (julie@julstro.com).

Wishing you well,
Julie